Sunday, September 30, 2007

Yea! I the lost is found.

You might not think this is so great but it took me a while (ok just a few minutes) to type. Anyway, here it is.

I went to church today. That is not unusual, I just really wanted to sleep in today. I even planned out leaving early since it was the 5th Sunday and it would be combined Priesthood and RS. As I laid there trying to talk myself into sleeping in and then into getting up, I thought about how if I sleep in my whole family will miss church or a least be late. I figured that we would end up being late. Then I decided that if we were late and I still had to go that I might as well get up so I could take the sacrament. So I did. I took a super fast shower and we actually made it on time. Amazing.

Then I was actually glad I went. In fast and testimony mtg a lady actually got up twice. (yea, twice! There is a first time for everything!) I am glad she did though. Her second testimony was actually a testimony of the Savior. I am glad she said it because she was the first one in the whole mtg that did. I was sitting there thinking that I might have to get up and turn into a blubbering mess and do it myself. I was relieved that now I didn't have to get up.

Then in Sunday school I learned a lot. Apparently Hebrews is full of interesting things. Who knew? Then the part that I was dreading the combined mtg was actually good. Well one guy was good. In our ward there are a lot of missionaries out and the parents get up and talk about how their missionary is doing. There was one guy who didn't try to entertain but just told the spiritual experiences that his son was having. It was really good.

I heard once in seminary (many, many years ago) that when you need answers you must be where the Lord can answer you. I think that was just their way of getting us to come to seminary instead of sluffing. Didn't work very well back then but has worked since. I don't really have anything I need answers to, but I did make some interesting connections with some things my clients have been talking about. My clients will probably appreciate that I got up today and went where I was supposed to be. I am too.

Still I wonder what state my family would be in if I didn't force myself to get out of bed every Sunday. I guess since I am the Mom, I am also responsible for everyone in my family being where they are supposed to be too. A few years ago I gave up being responsible for all the tithing in our family. I now pay mine and Matt pays his. I like it this way. The checks I have to write are a lot less so they are easier to write. Also then I only have to answer for me during the temple recommend interview and Matt can answer for himself. I think the ward clerk thinks we are weird but it works for us.

I guess part of who I am is a responsible mom who lets others take responsibility for themselves too. (At least sometimes. Other times I tend to be a control freak.)

3 comments:

michele said...

way to get out of bed and be an example for your family. sometimes just getting up is the hardest part.

Anonymous said...

good job. I did not manage to get out of bed yesterday. Or out of my pajamas all day. The ironic part is I went to women's conference the night before.
Welcome to blogging Andra.

mickey said...

Being a Mom is being responsible, thanks for the story Andra. It helps me think about how my choices really do affect my children and husband.